Thursday, June 17, 2010

Settled in...

It has been quite a whirlwind of weeks since I landed on this island! After the first week of being at the FARM Institute, things went a little crazy. I started FBE (Farm Based Educator) orientation during the second week, and we are just finishing the orientation up as the third week concludes. The orientation included learning all about each "farm chore" which we will have to do every morning with the campers, which involved learning to milk Jessup the mamma goat. My plan is to make yogurt from her milk this weekend, yum! We also have been doing a lot of learning about specific protocols, specific programs, and curriculum building. We have also had 2 residential programs at the FARM. The first was 12 high schoolers, and we all had a chance to help out; the second was 45 sixth graders from Brooklyn, and all 14 of the educators lead groups of students. My group worked on a compost project, which involved building (and decorating) a new compost container, collecting compost after meals, and using some compost in a plot which we planted with peanuts.

Next week is the first week of real camp, and there is a residential program running as well! I have been assigned to work with the "Sprouts" group, which will be ten kids age 3-5. Daniel is working with the residential program, which is 55 kids from the Bronx.

Also, Mom and brother Jake have been visiting this week. It has been great spending time with them since I have been feeling quite cut off from my home friends and family, but also frustrating since I have been working so much. I didn't get to see them at all on Tuesday because I had the evening shift with the residential program at the Martha's Vineyard hostel. It was lots of fun hanging with the kids and cooking dinner with them, but we didn't get home till about 10 pm.

Although sometimes I feel like this job is taking over my life, I am really enjoying being at the FARM, learning about animals and gardening, working with the staff, working with the kids, thinking about new projects, etc. I am hoping to get used to the new schedule and make sure my life is a little more balanced as far as sleep, socializing, having time for myself, reading, and connecting with friends at home.

Now off to dinner with Mom, Jake, and Daniel at Mom's rented house down the road!



No comments:

Post a Comment